Hemp Synergistics is a world-leaded in cannabinoid processing and formulation for Tier 1, 2, and 3 nutraceutical, cosmetic, and food producers. Headquartered just north of Pittsburgh, PA, we serve clients in the entire northern Americas.
Hemp Synergistics is seeking an experienced extraction and distillation chemist to help grow our business. The extraction and distillation chemist will have a strong understanding of hemp or cannabis extraction, winterization, distillation, and chemistry.
Objectives of this Role
- Successfully manages and completes extraction, winterization, and distillation of hemp oil. Helps the company grow in capacity and capabilities through training of others and selection of equipment.
- Growth into a leadership role in laboratory operations.
- Trains and gains competency in the operation of new equipment including analytical and quality control instrumentation, automation, and manufacturing.
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities
- Operates super-chilled alcohol distillation, table filtration, and short-path distillation to the highest industry standards.
- Assists with the manufacture of food products, nutraceuticals, and other consumer packaged goods (CPG).
- Operates various chromatography systems, including liquid and gas.
- Keeps all work areas clean, instruments maintained, and schedules service/repairs when required.
- Proactively participates in communication, produces complete, concise and accurate reports.
Skills and Qualifications
- Hands-on working style. Lead by example.
- Able to establish and execute department Operations Plan based on the company goals.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to recognize and respond to changing trends and priorities
- Ability to work in and foster a collaborative team environment.
- Analyzes production issues and prepares recommendations to improve costs, operational efficiencies, service level improvements and quality. Presents findings to management for approval and implementation plans.
- Prepares and distributes management report package. The report package includes workload indices, quality statistics, service level statistics, financial statistics, etc.
- Analyzes data in reports and identifies trends and possible problem areas. Completes analysis, reports findings and recommendations to correct, improve and/or recommendations to correct, improve and/or maintain performance levels.
- Completes as assigned, all projects and implements assigned initiatives.
- Develop, implement and maintain all operating systems, SOP preparation and process policies and procedures required to ensure efficient operations and the achievements of customer service objectives. Identify existing bottlenecks and develop enhanced policies and procedures to increase sales, improve efficiency and reduce costs.
- College degree in Chemistry or equivalent highly preferred, or equivalent industry experience required.
- At least 2 years working with hemp/cannabis extraction in a production environment
- Minimum 2 years working in a regulated industry. Food or pharmaceutical industry experience preferred.
- GMP and Lean Manufacturing experience preferred.
- HAZMAT training strongly preferred.
- Experience training and mentoring laboratory technicians and scientists with techniques for analysis and good laboratory practices.
- Experience with various methods of extraction, preferably Light Hydrocarbon, Ethanol, and CO2 experience acceptable.
- Experience with molecular distillation and steam distillation.
- Demonstrates leadership and managerial skills for possible future growth.
- Has good written and oral communication skills.
- Verifiable achievement of meeting or exceeding goals and objectives.
- Ability to stand and/or walk for prolonged periods; requires consistent eye/hand coordination in a precise lab setting; ability to lift 50 lbs. unassisted.
- Company benefits including paid holidays, vacation, etc.
Hemp Synergistics is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.